Hi there lovelies! I posted this video on my Facebook page a week or so ago, and promised a blog post then. Where on earth does the time go?! Anyway, here is the post I promised, and I hope you'll forgive the delay.
I am so in love with the "You Move Me" bundle from Stampin' Up! at the moment. If you're looking for a real "wow" in the cards you send, and you love a bit of interactivity, then you really need this bundle in your craft room. To be honest, I really wasn't very struck with it when I first saw it in the catalogue... it just looks a bit, well, odd, I suppose. Here's how the stamp set appears (you'll find it on page 170 of the 2017-2018 Annual Catalogue):
Now the solid images I understood, but the stripy ones were a bit lost on me, I have to confess. I really didn't "get" them. You really do have to see this stamp set in action to appreciate what it can do, which is why I wanted to record the little video you see at the top of this post.
How brilliant is that fluttering hummingbird????
The key to this clever stamp set is the stripes that confused me so much before I saw them in action. There are TWO stripy butterflies, and TWO stripy hummingbirds, but you stamp both images from each pair ON TOP OF EACH OTHER, using different colours, to make ONE composite image. Here's what the butterfly looks like, so you can see what I mean:
Still looks a bit odd, doesn't it? More like a butterfly, admittedly, but still a little bit strange.
However, combine this two-step image with the co-ordinating dies, and the whole thing comes to life. Here are the dies:
Seriously, don't even THINK about buying the stamp set on its own... You NEED the dies (and of course you get 10% off when you order them as a bundle) to create the movement effect.
The die you want for this is the one that looks a bit like a drain cover, or a ventilation cover. When you cut it out, you get lots of thin strips of card, set into a squarish shape, like this:
These strips of card work with the stripy images to create an optical illusion - first one image, and then the other, is obscured by the strips of card, and the butterfly (or the hummingbird) appears to be fluttering. Clever!
A Few Tips For You
Here are a few tips, that I've found made a BIG difference to my success with this bundle:
- Stamp the images with the horizontal lines HORIZONTAL! Use a Stamp-a-ma-jig if you have to (I just used my grid paper to make sure I was lining everything up properly). If your images aren't lined up with the die-cut grid, then the illusion won't work.
- Use two inks that are fairly close in colour (or use the same colour, and stamp off before stamping the second image). Otherwise your eye notices the colour change, rather than the movement (or at least mine does).
- Use low-tack masking tape (or sticky notes) to keep the grid die nice and straight when you cut it. I found that even when I used my Magnetic Platform I was moving the die just a little bit - and it really does need to be straight for you to get the full effect.
- Brush the waste strips of card away from the die before you remove the die-cut. The strips of card are very slender, and I found that they were prone to bowing a little if I removed the waste without the die in place to brace the bits I wanted to keep.
- Slide the image up slowly. If you move it up too quickly you may not see the movement effect so well. Slow and steady worked best for me.
And another tip, that will work for you until the end of July 2017. The dies and stamps will cost you £45 (€59.25) when you order them as a bundle. Throw in a refill of your favourite adhesive, or some bling, or a reel of that ribbon that you just HAVE to have, and you'll take your order above the magic £45 (€60) mark, which will bag you a £4.50 (€6) voucher to put towards your August purchases. Can't be bad! Find out more about the Bonus Days promotion by clicking here.
I'd love to see what you make with this die-and-stamps combo, so do send your photos to me. You can email them to me at firstname.lastname@example.org, or send them in via my Facebook Page. I'd love to be inspired by what you create!
Thanks for dropping by. You can find links to everything I've used in this project at the bottom of this post. Just scroll down a little and click on the links. See you soon!
Product List - click on the links for more information
- Pool Party Classic Stampin' Pad
- Berry Burst Classic Stampin' Pad
- Melon Mambo Classic Stampin' Pad
- Old Olive Classic Stampin' Pad
- Flirty Flamingo Classic Stampin' Pad
- Pool Party A4 Card Stock
- Emerald Envy A4 Cardstock
- Daffodil Delight A4 Card Stock
- Whisper White A4 Card Stock
- Berry Burst A4 Cardstock
Ribbon & Trim